Re: Europa-List: where to put OAT sensor?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: where to put OAT sensor?
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:08:04
Some notes on my mistakes:

OAT probe in either the 914 or radiator metal duct work needs an
insulator as the ducts warm up and on the second flight and is really
terrible until at altitude.  If insulated, it is down right tollerable
in the duct shortly after engine start.

I have put them in the back of the wing fillet gap by the flap, seen
them in the gap between the stab and fuselage, in the tail cone trim
hole, sticking out the belly (Dynon probe style stuck out of the bottom
of the aircraft clear of exhausted air), even the 912 fiberglass plenum,
and they all worked.

Some magnatometers require wire to the OAT to be installed (Dynon type)
so plan your magnatometer and OAT sensor positions to prevent 20 feet of
wire running.  With the magnetometer behind the baggage bulkhead, one
was put in the hole behind the flap bracket (no cover).  Do plan for
flap movement.  Another mag was put under the seat, and the probe put
under the right cheek of the passenger.  It worked provided your
passenger does not have an iron bottom.

If you put your Dynon magnetometer in the overhead, consider an overhead
vent with the OAT in it.  If in a cold climate, when the duct is shut
off, you get cockpit temp, so plan accordingly.

Just my two cents.
Bud