Re: Europa-List: Ducati rectifier/regulators ... a different perspective

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ducati rectifier/regulators ... a different perspective
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:18:24
Hi Paul,
Hope the jumping is going well, and the flying. You a bit cold over there? I
 am in LA, having spent 4 days here going batty since my LAX-JFK-LAX legs we
re cancelled due to the weather and light passenger loads. So, boring. Can y
ou tell me with this rectifier topic, would you replace the original rectifi
er with a GR6 straight from the get go? When they fail, does your alternator
 just fail to charge, or can it overcharge? Is that why you have that OPV? C
ircuit?
Any help to get to the bottom of this electrical stuff appreciated. My build
 is going ok at the moment. I have wings on, and am doing Fred Kleins fairin
gs at the moment, the P51 ones. They look good but gee there is a lot of wor
k to connect them, nearly as much as building them from scratch I would thin
k. Anyway, 60% done. Have mated the aileron quick connect pivot bolts and bo
nded the tufnol pads on them, so now to insy
Tall them and see how I went. I'm confident it should be good because of the
 bolt work. Painting the interior before top goes on. Easy, light, and simpl
y quick progress, plus easy to modify, touch up as time goes on. Top goes on
 soon, with Kingsleys help. Then on its wheels and I then have to turn it ov
er somehow to do some gear fairing work. That will be a challenge. I am thin
king of making carbon floor inserts, that come out like a tray, and just was
h out. Easy to make. Would that be a good idea do you think?
On a work topic, I was talking about you to a GE person, and I realised I do
n't know what you do, so, can I ask?
Fly safe, jump safe.
TR

Sent from my iPad

> On 21 Jan 2014, at 5:07 pm, Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com> w
rote:

> David,
>
> I am kinda, sorta with you on this. Mine failed the same way after 10 year
s, however I do have  an OPV system that disconnects the alternator from the
 system just in case.

> I installed a GR6 once my original regulator died and went to heaven and s
o far so good.

> Paul
>

>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM, David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> w
rote:
uk>

>> Tim, I absolutely accept that it is not ideal and could cause more seriou
s problems than simple lack of charge, but one benign failure in 12 years of
 flying is pretty close to acceptable reliability for me, and I enjoy glidin
g anyway!
>>     Happy Landings, David
>>

>>  houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi David.
>>>
>>> One thing to bear in mind is that there are, as I understand it, several

>>> modes of failure of the Ducatti unit the most benign being that it just
>>> stops charging the battery and feeding the services.
>>> This is as you describe and as I also suffered ( why does this happen mi
>>> channel?) but I believe it can fail and possibly allow high voltage DC o
>>> AC onto the bus giving your expensive radio and other clever stuff a rea
>>> hard time !
>>>
>>> In the UK there is very little difference in cost between the Schicke an
>>> the Ducatti  they are very similar in size and the wiring is only slight
ly
>>> changed , one wire not connected, and the generator fail light has to
>>> become an LED.
>>>
>>> Tim

>>> ===========
>>> ===========
>>> ===========
>>> ===========

>> target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
>> http://forums.matronics.com
>> le, List Admin.
>> ="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D