RE: Europa-List: If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Subject: RE: Europa-List: If it ain't broke, don't fix it
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 18:26:12
Dave=2C
I had the same problem on one of the three mod 78s I've done.  I hate to sa
y it but since you are quite skilled=2C cut the fairing and save the piece
and make a door to look in.  It's not structural and it makes life so much
easier.

As for the bushes=2C you bet it is a problem.  To get a bit of clearance in
 one aircraft we actually set the dihedral a tenth of a degree short to get
 the bushes and the spars to clear.

You have my info on the rest of the rig problems.

Send your pics to my site for me to review.  I have a completed set of wing
s that I have to retrofit to a different aircraft.  Not excited about it bu
t I'll keep folks posted.

Best Regards=2C
Bud Yerly

> Subject: Europa-List: If it ain't broke=2C don't fix it
> From: djaflyact@gmail.com
> Date: Thu=2C 21 Nov 2013 07:37:50 -0800
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> Well=2C mod 78 progresses. I keep hearing the phrase "if it ain't broke
=2C don't fix it" over and over in my head. The spars are complete except f
or post cure and the setting of the bushings in the wing. It says to open t
he holes up to 7/8 inch for the bushes. They are a fairly tight fit. I thin
k there should be some slop in there to allow resetting of the dihedral.

> The spar is as thin as I could make it. Yesterday was the trial fit of th
e left wing. Nothing has changed except for the spar dimensions=2C so it sh
ould go right in. It does..except for the last 1/8 inch.
Frustrating.

> I've replaced the top air brake bracket screws with flush and it looks li
ke the added BID that is in the upper corner of the tunnel has some high po
ints that are contacting the spar and preventing the aft pin on the fuselag
e side from going all the way in=2C due to the spar not being quite all the
 way forward. I hope so=2C because I don't know what else it could be. The
difficulty is that it is difficult to see what is going on in the tunnel an
d the wing root fairings prevent seeing what is going on with the sockets -
 especially the forward one. Not looking forward to reaching in there and s
anding and sanding and sanding.

> I'll attach pictures. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I do have an oven setup for post cure=2C however. Using foam panels and a
 thermostatically controlled heater=2C I am able to maintain a range of 120
 to 125F. That is measured by a meat thermometer at spar level in the box.
It can also ramp up the temperature like prescribed.