Europa-List: If is broke, so just fix it

Subject: Europa-List: If is broke, so just fix it
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:39:14

        Hi Dave

        I have studied how I am going to deal with Mod 78. I have short wings
rigged already. First thing I am going to do is temporary bond in the tip
spar bushings, then drill 1/2" holes for the other bushings.
If dihedral is less than 2.4 degrees, so be it, OK down to 2.2 degrees if
need be. I am very close on the top inboard. I will then make sure I have
at least 1/16" clear on the top inboard, prefer at least 1/8"
though. If I really needed to, I think I could perhaps slightly move the
tip bushing location. Then I am going to fabricate several perfectly
shaped spars out of plywood adjusted so they fit my bird perfectly
including the position for spar bushings. They can be installed in fuse
and checked for fit. This will turn into my mold. The mold supplied from
Europa, well....spar hole locations...dimensions of mold...finish of
mold...enough said.

        Getting back you your dilemma, perhaps you can create a perfect example
of your spar and install it in your bird and see what's happening?
You don't have the ability to easily move your lift pins or lift pin
sockets, but it is not beyond possible. You may be able you use wood from
your mold adding Bondo or other fill to replicate your spar. Try just
front of port spar first, if you need more resolution then make it full
width (spacer between the two). In your case, it may be necessary to
replicate the front and rear lift pins on the spar, then remove and
measure to what your wing in (wood or metal with pins in position and get
stuck to your replicated spar.

        Just to make sure, could it be as easy as you installed the new style
lift pin and the shoulder is hitting the front lift pin socket? I think
the intention is for the shoulder to make sure the swivel bushing stays
in place if it ever got debonded? The straight pin with bonded spacer
could do the same thing?

        Perhaps some clay to mold around areas you think are contacting?

        Perhaps you can remove front lift pin all together and see if you can
get
things to fit? The front lift pin socket may be the easiest of all to
move position? If still can't fit, remove rear lift pin and put front
back in?

        Report back what you find.

        Best of luck.

        Ron Parigoris

        Doing battle with flap drive to make my XS Mono work with both short and
long wings. At 80% feeling of success at moment. Waiting for an order of
ball joint swivel bearings to come in to do actual testing on rear push
cable mount. If I get a 90% feeling of success after testing, going to
order cable.