Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 15:31:48

Raimo,

I too have been known, on a rare occasion, to leave the master on.  I think I've
done that three times in the last 5 years.  First two times it was with an
Odyssey
680.  First time it happened I put a charger on it and it came back like
new.  About 18 months later I did it again.  Put the charger on it and it came
back.  But this time I was concerned so I replaced it with a new Odyssey and
put the old Odyssey in an old Jeep we use at the hunting lease.  It worked in
that Jeep for about 4 years till my hunting bud left the key on for about 6
months.  That pretty much killed it.  Meanwhile, this spring, I replaced the
Odyssey
in the Europa with a tiny little, very light (and very expensive) LiFePo
battery.  The Odyssey I took out went into the Jeep.  The new LiFePo battery
seemed to work quite well for starting and running.  Eventually, I did a
run-down
test to see how long it would operate the EFIS, EIS, Radio & Xponder.  Turned
out, not very long.  After about 10 minutes things started dropping off.
I recharged & balanced the LiFePo battery overnight and it was fine the next
day.  BTW, I kept the charger/balancer on whenever the aircraft was in the
hanger.
Flew a couple times over the next week and parked it to do more testing.
This time I went off leaving the master on (with the charger attached, btw).
Next day, the battery was DEAD.  And I mean DEAD.  Would not accept a charge.
I put a new Odyssey back in the aircraft and plan to stick with them from now
on.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com