Re: Europa-List: Angle of Incidence on a Classic Taildragger Downunder

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Angle of Incidence on a Classic Taildragger Downunder
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 14:41:02
Tony,
Welcome to my world.
The first Europa I purchased used had the left wing at 2.6 and the right
at 3.1.  I moved the sockets in the right fuselage side to 2.6.  It
flies straight and true.  If you were to set both at 2.8 degrees your
fuselage will be nose down a bit at cruise, which shouldn't hurt a
thing.  Just go for it.

As for your gear relationship, deck angle etc. on landing, I can only
say that the extra bit of incidence will allow you to be closer to the
stall angle at the three point touchdown and improve over the nose
visibility.

In practice I found that I can correct with flap and aileron trimming up
to .2 degrees incidence difference and you will never see my changes.
At .4 incidence difference, I have to modify the the wing leading edge
to get a perfectly straight stall.

First consider this:  To be sure as Frans and others might say that
later, that all digital and spirit or bubble levels are not equal.  In
fact I have one that is off .3 degrees when tested at three degrees.  My
test bench is a simple 3 inch block in 60 inches and with the level
facing one direction and when the level is rotated 180 degrees putting
the scale window on the other side it measures 2.7 degrees rather than
the three.  That's 10 percent off.

So it is best to set your spirit level or digital level on a dead flat
surface and check the zero to 3 degree setting.  I used to set my level
at 2.5 degrees (2.5 inch board at 60 inches) 3 degrees, 5 degrees and 12
degrees for calibration purposes of the wing incidence, and tail planes
to make sure things are fairly close to the manual.

Since your sockets are only in Redux, snap them off and fix them both is
what I would do.

I have found that the best way to make sure things don't move is to
shore up the wing well during cure.  Just in case the temp changes over
cure time, I block the gear also if necessary.  Trigear, I put a pipe in
the main gear, and for the conventional, I block the spring gear itself.

I know that you don't really want to hear this but the standard rule in
my shop is take it apart and put it together (normally about 5 times)
until it is repeatable and easy to do.  That means when building glider
wings, or rigging the plane, or hanging the cowl if you try to do things
in one shot, you will have to redo it to get it right.

The worst thing to happen when rigging wings is to have the left spar
creep aft during the socket build up then it causes so many troubles
down the road.  Take your time, make sure it fits all around then tack
it in place.

The only difference between a professional build and an amateur build,
is I know how to fix my mistakes before it affects something else.

As for the tail dragger, good luck.  It is best to modify the gear to
get the position of the axle to leading edge of the wing MAC (about 2/3
out on the wing from fuselage centerline) over the axle with the
fuselage in level position.  Contact Grove, as Bobby Grove has a couple
of solutions.  (New gear or 1/4 inch steel plates to increase deck angle
and move the axles back about 4-5 inches.  As the gear as is, I find it
un-gratifying to fly the gear as designed.  It is very tough to wheel
land the conventional due to the spring stiffness and forward position.
With a 10 Knot cross wind I can land on one main and do a wheel landing
with ease and no tire wear (without the crosswind, tire wear on a wing
low slightly slipped landing is more than I care to pay for).  Three
point is not a problem.  It is quite tough to teach a new guy how to
land and takeoff with the gear as set.  It's a mono except it doesn't
fall over when the wings are pulled off.  If you hit mains first with
any vertical component, the tail drops faster than you can react and
combined with the extra lift from the drooping tail added to the gear
spring reaction, you get launched back in the air, then hit the tail
wheel, you over correct and down on the main again resulting in a
porpoise which continues to increase in speed and frequency naturally
and any PIO combination can be a disaster.  Just go around and get the
tail wheel on first.  Don't relax on roll out as between 45 to a fast
walk it tends to wander and you have to "stay on it".  Not difficult to
master, it just takes practice, discipline and  the ability to go around
early when it doesn't work out on first contact.  Go around early and
save yourself and the plane.

I highly recommend you do not install a fully swiveling tail wheel
unless you can lock it from the cockpit as the torque of a 912S with
Airmaster is enough that a moment of inattention or failure to keep the
stick full back is a real eye opener for the new guy on takeoff if the
tail wheel is not positively locked.  Next, on landing or a bounce, if
slightly sideways, the tail wheel may unlock and you will be off to the
races with no tail control but the rudder which is not effective at
really low speed on takeoff or roll out...

Find a Luscombe with a bad wheel alignment on steroids to practice with
on asphalt.  Keep it straight, lower your IQ to a 2 and hold it off
until hit the tail wheel first.  You'll be fine.

Regards,
Bud