Re: Europa-List: Oil tank breather separator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil tank breather separator
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 07:17:56
John,
I use a aluminum " Baroca" tablet container to catch any oil spill. Baroca i
s a energy vitamin supplement from the Supermarket or Chemist/ Pharmacy. It i
s big enough to catch the oil from the overflow tube and I clean it out ever
y 100 hour annual check. The overflow tube runs down the side of the footwel
l and the container is installed against the footwell with electrical ties.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 8/02/2013, at 5:34 AM, John Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net> wrote:

> Hi Bud,
>
> Well as usual, you are full of good ideas. Why did I not think of making o
ne?

> Thanks, John
>

> John,
> Not a bad idea on a 912S.  All the Rotax's do spit a bit more oil when the
 tank is full as on a cross country.  My 914 doesn't spit much oil unless it
 is full.   A separator may do the trick.  I saw someone with a simple screw
 on can lid and brazed a couple tubes in it.  The store bought ones all have
 5/8 and 3/4 inch tubes and cost a bundle.

> I am familiar with the Jabiru separators and they work well but they have a
 5/8 nipple.  Why not make a fiberglass can 2x2x4 with a 5/16 inlet and outl
et out of the top, coat it well with fiberglass resin to seal and bake it at
 250F for a bit to heat cure it.  Cheap and simple...
>  Bolt it on the firewall and let the outlet dangle out the bottom as befor
e.
> Regards, Bud
s usual, I have quite a lot of oily marks on the belly of my plane from the o
il tank breather hose from my 912S.
>   I am curious if any of you have installed an oil breather/separator and i
f this has been successful, perhaps you may be able to make a recommendation
.

=========
=========
=========