Re: Europa-List: Grounding & Fuelling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Grounding & Fuelling
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:38:37

On 01/11/2013 04:26 PM, f.kyle@sympatico.ca wrote:

>             Can I install a grounding bib on the outside of the
> fuselage, well away from but electrically connected to the 2inch tube in
> addition to any previous route?

If you start grounding components in direct contact with fuel, you have
to ground them ALL. Otherwise a non-grounded metal piece (in contact
with the fuel) will discharge itself to the grounded piece, sparking
inside the fuel enclosure.

So, do not ground anything in contact with the fuel, or, if you do, then
ground everything in contact with the fuel. (This includes the fuel
vents, which may become electrically charged and try to relieve
themselves via the fuel to your grounded cobra).

Probably safest would be a metal wire inside the tank, running from the
inlet to the outlet, making contact with all metal parts in between,
have one side connected to the engine and the other side to the fuel
filler opening.

Or just don't ground anything, so if there is an electric charge, it
won't find a path to ground via the fuel related components.

This is what I do: I have not grounded anything connected to the fuel.
Before I refill, I use a wet rag (or my bare hands) to wipe off the fuel
filler opening, then I place one hand on the wetted surface, and in the
other hand I have the fuel nozzle, and with both hands connected I bring
the fuel nozzle in contact with the fuel filler opening.

If there is any electrical charge between the nozzle and the fuel filler
opening, it will relieve itself via my body instead of via the fuel.

As the aircraft is made of non-conductive material, any grounding
efforts are bound to fail. Electrical charge will easily build up near
the fuel filler opening, despite any efforts to ground individual parts.
The only way to get rid of local charges on a non-conductive material is
to wipe it off with something conductive; wet rags or body parts suffice.

Frans