Re: Europa-List: Mod 33 Water drains

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 33 Water drains
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 22:11:25

On 10/04/2012 07:29 PM, Jerry Rehn wrote:
> I purchased this mod sometime ago and have yet to install it. I have not
> had any issues until lately, I think. I did not like the idea of adding
> more fittings and complications to the fuel system not to mention it
> looks like a pain to do! So I am looking for two things. How many are
> experiencing water in their Fuel and what kind of fuel? And those of you
> that have installed the Mod, how tough was it and have you found water?

I have this mod since the beginning and I'm planning to take it out.
Never found any water in the fuel, despite having had the airplane
parked in heavy rain, in the mountains with huge temperature differences
between day and night (so plenty of volume changes and potential for
condensation against the tank walls). I tank ethanol fuel and avgas, but
never a single drop of water with both fuel types. At the same time the
fuel drains are another complication of the fuel system with a potential
for leaks. If you would ever be in a forced landing situation and the
landing gear would collapse, the fuel drains will drag over the surface,
shear off as well and you have the combination of sparks and a
non-closable fuel leak. Not good. So, I regret having installed this mod
and I will undo it at the next major fuel system maintenance.

Frans