Europa-List: Mod 33 Water drains

Subject: Europa-List: Mod 33 Water drains
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:29:19
I purchased this mod sometime ago and have yet to install it. I have not had
any issues until lately, I think. I did not like the idea of adding more
fittings and complications to the fuel system not to mention it looks like a
pain to do! So I am looking for two things. How many are experiencing water
in their Fuel and what kind of fuel? And those of you that have installed
the Mod, how tough was it and have you found water?

Regarding my issue, I fueled up with 6 gallons I now know has up to 10%
ethanol on top of about 6 gallons not sure about alcohol .In the past my
fuel has been alcohol free, so maybe this has drawn in some water. Plane sat
for ten days, no rain but humid. Started great, warmed up, ran mag check,
fine, went to take off and engine stumbled badly as I approached full
throttle thinking the water if any started moving forward to tank outlets.
Backed off and ran fine again, did the same a second time, had enough,
taxied back running fine. Have since raised tail to get any possible water
to drain forward and pumped out 4 gallons, no water. However I may have run
all the water through. I checked the turbo and all looks well.

I have checked fuel flow and filter all fine. I ordered a bing overhaul kit
and have the carbs dismantled, so far they look good. Should have everything
back together by weekend unless I tackle mod 33 so would like advice there.
I am thinking water is the prime suspect. I will have the carbs totally
apart in a few hours so will be able to rule these in or out. I have had
over ten years of "sewing machine" fine running engine so this is not fun!
Thank you for help and advice.

Jerry

914 XS Mono