Europa-List: Trigear conversion; only 80hp. Advice please.

Subject: Europa-List: Trigear conversion; only 80hp. Advice please.
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:19:44

Please would anyone who has personal experience of having flown a classic
monowheel
for many hours with Rotax 912UL 80hp and then converted the same aircraft
to a trigear, advise me on the performance aspect during take-off. My aircraft
has the superb Airmaster AP332 propeller which greatly improved take-off and
climb once it was fitted.
Also it has the strengthening mod which allows me to operate up to 1370 lbs. I
fly off a 500 metre grass strip and when I get airborne on warm (20C) days
near-fully
laden in calm wind, the intial climb is sluggish until I can retract the
flaps/uc and accelerate to 75 kts. Then it'll manage 700 - 800 fpm.
I realise that as soon as the wheels come off the ground, then the climb
performance
should be the same , whichever undercarriage is fitted. My real concern
is whether the trigear has a noticeably longer take-off roll on grass which
could
affect obstacle clearance.
My budget won't stretch to the 100hp engine and I might be forced to relocate to
a different airfield with a tar runway. Don't really want to move though.

Read this topic online here: