Europa-List: 912ULS engine mount - loose Binx nut

Subject: Europa-List: 912ULS engine mount - loose Binx nut
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:37:35
Hi all,

Just a word of caution:

The Rotax engine ring mount is bolted to the Europa engine frame with four
bolts with M10 Binx nuts (the Binx nut version that is slightly oval inside
before screwed on to the bolt, thus having a selflocking function).

Inspecting the engine today, with both cowl parts removed, I discovered that
the nut had unscrewed itself so much that I could easily turn the nut and
the bolt around (meaning, by the way, that the three other bolts were
holding the engine firmly in place).  Total 171 hours.

The "Rotax 912S Installation Manual" (my version and also the current one on
Europa's web site) specifies neither a certain torque nor any Loctite on
these nuts, indicating that the nuts are assumed to lock sufficiently well.
I remember clearly that I called Europa back then, and a very skilled
representative of the company confirmed that no specific torque was
required, just tighten it.

I certainly hope that my case is unique, but you are all advised to check
regularly.

I had to remove the muffler to get to the bolt head at the back.  Definitely
some restriction to turn the nut on the bolt, but I put on Locktite 270 to
be safe (stronger than the Locktite 243 recommended for the ring
mount-to-engine bolt nuts).

On the attached photo you will see the marks made with water-proof felt pen
on the nut and the ring mount for easy detection of any nut movement,
re-drawn after tightening.  The marks not lining up is how I noticed that
something was wrong.

Fly safely.

Regards,

Svein