RE: Europa-List: Short field landings VP prop

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Short field landings VP prop
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 09:00:58

Hi William

I operate a 80hp mono off a 550 metre strip slightly humped.  My prop is an
NSI with just a simple pitch control (ie no constant speed unit).

In full fine the 'slowing effect' is dramatic.  Apart from the fact the
aeroplane will descend at 120 kts indicated with the VSI on the stops at
2000 fpm, the effect on the float after round out is very noticeable.

The only time our strip feels short is on a hot day at max weight with cross
wind, then I do think another 20 hp would be good to have.  Although in
practice you are at 50 feet over the far hedge.

Why not try the aeroplane as a mono?  They are great and the ground handling
is not scary if you get some training.

Regards

Pete