Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:00:11

Hi Karl,

> You mentioned that the prop is not as smooth at lower rpm's. I have the
> same prop and I discovered a long time ago that the carbs need to be in
> sync 100% for a two-bladed prop.

I agree with you. My carbs are 100% balanced, so the whole setup runs
very smooth. However, it just feels the engine runs best at 5000 RPM. I
called it "smooth" in my previous post, but it has nothing to do with
vibrations, it is just the general impression that the engine gives. At
RPMs below 4700 it just sounds a bit as if the engine is labouring, hard
to describe precisely what I mean as English is a foreign language for me.

On the ground the prop sounds very mean, especially if the wind is not
precisely at front. I guess the inner part with lots of twist just
stalls out if there is not enough airspeed. Once airborn the prop is
very silent.
Do you also have the large twist prop?

Frans