RE: Europa-List: pitot/static port cover?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: pitot/static port cover?
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 21:52:38

        Hi all

        I owned a 1948 Cessna 170 for 19 years. I had a Mud Dabber fill my Pitot
once for a bit of excitement even though I had the number two cover on
the ACS link that supposedly stays closed until 40 MPH. I was perplexed
at how this happened? A few days later at some far off airstrip, it was
howling out. I observed the fool pitot cover open, to my amazement i saw
a Mud dabber somehow navigate it's way to the opened tube and climb
in! That was at about 10 year point. I used a push over the tube
with red flag and never had a problem again.

        Ron Parigoris

<mcointe@free.fr>

        > Hi Frans,

        > Many standard covers exist for this, just have a look at any catalog
(see

        > http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/fb/covers_pitot.html)

        > You can also use a mail of the correct diameter to close the pitot
but

        > make

        > sure to attach something very visible to it to a void to forget it
before