Re: Europa-List: Removing magnetic plug from Rotax 912 gearbox

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Removing magnetic plug from Rotax 912 gearbox
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:21:45

Gentlemen,

When removing the magnetic plug, in addition to the heating, cooling and
impacting
methods, it is important to use the correct tool.

Early engines had a 6 mm Allen fitting.  Later engines have a #40 Torx fitting
requiring a #40 Torx socket. The latest engines of course now have the Hex
headed
plug.

Look carefully because the Torx fitting looks very much like an Allen key one at
first sight.

Also, don't use a cheap Torx socket, a Snap-on one may prove to be cheap in the
long run!

Cheers
Kingsley from Oz - Enjoying my first real cross country trip in a 914 Mono.
800nm
---From home at the moment but still in the same State!  Truly is a great cross
country aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone