RE: Europa-List: burping the 912

Subject: RE: Europa-List: burping the 912
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:35:16
Hi! Glenn

Good airmanship necessitates mag. checks every time the engine is shut
down and this is vital towards preventing the incident you relate. There
was an incident just prior to Christmas at Wickenby due to hand propping
to clear flooded carbs when the pilot jumped out without locking the
brakes and switching the mags off. The engine fired up and swung round
into the friends nearby parked plane with the propeller finishing up
chewing the fuselage to bits. (Not Rotax though!)

Whilst the burping procedure is preferable to be done on a long standing
cold engine I would advocate not doing it on a hot engine because
=9Cmurphys law=9D goes a long way to have it happen.

Regards

Bob Harrison G-PTAG