Re: Europa-List: burping the 912

Subject: Re: Europa-List: burping the 912
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 08:06:02
Glen,

No, there are no accidental start incidents as a result of the oil-burp
procedure
for the 9xx engines.

It's virtually impossible to hand prop start a Rotax 9xx engine.  I remember
from
my Rotax class that there is a minimum RPM required before the CDI ignition
can function.  I don't remember the exact RPM (400 RPM??) value, but you'd have
to be an octopus built like Arnold Schwartzenegger to pull enough blades through
to turn it that fast.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Feb 1, 2012, at 7:20 AM, Glenn Rainey wrote:

> There is a thread running in the yahoo canard list concerning a recent fatal
(lycoming or similar I suspect) hand-propping incident at Gillespie Field /CA,
which prompts me to this posting. There must have been a lot of accumulated
experience
here and elsewhere with the 'oil-burp' procedure for the 912. Does anyone
know of any accidental starts? Sure, this query belongs on the rotaxEngine
list perhaps - i'm not yet subscribed to that - on my list to do. Quick look
- i found nothing.