Re: Europa-List: lower cowl opening for 914 only?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: lower cowl opening for 914 only?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:53:00

Greame,

Unfortunately, you are correct.  That duct is only for the 914 intake air.  It
should probably be closed up.  A couple of layers of BID laid up on the inside
with at least 1 inch of overlap onto the cowl should do.  Then fill the outer
and sand to smooth and match the cowl.  Prime and paint.  You should be OK.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Jan 15, 2012, at 11:37 AM, graeme bird wrote:

> Had a sudden panic that I had unnecessarily opened up the lower cowl starboard
NACA duct and that it was only required for 914 inlet and not my 912. I cant
see what its for for the 912ULS as it would only cool the oil tank (which is
already too cool in flight) and possibly one end of the exhaust.