RE: Europa-List: Bottom cut-outs

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Bottom cut-outs
From: Gary Leinberger <Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:46:39
I also have the tri-gear, and have the wheel well area covered with a door.
 I also cut out the area A (on your drawing)  and made one long oval door b
etween the two round holes . I reinforced this oval opening with thin alumi
num and glass. In addition, I put an additional several layers of glass acr
oss the entire bottom and up the sides about 6 inches. In part I did this t
o reinforce  the hole I made between the normal round holes and also becaus
e a friend with an older Europa said that after a few years his Tri-gear de
veloped cracks around the gear supports. The rule is that you have to repla
ce a cut out area with some multiple of the area removed (4?, 6?). I probab
ly went over board and will see the costs of my over- reinforcement next mo
nth when we do the weight and balance (I have nightmares that I have built
a single person plane - and that person must be skinny - something I am not
.)

I would not be too happy about cutting out more  as in area B in your drawi
ng - especially after the cockpit is in and you can't reinforce the surroun
ding glass from the inside. - although the way the cockpit module is glued
in means the structure is really strong.

Although my gas valve is on the top of the cockpit module center armrest I
did cut out the provided cutout for the gas value on the co-pilot side of t
he cockpit module. This approximately 6" hole does provide some access.

The other approach is to move the parts so they are accessible. I have been
 through several revisions of the fuel system to make it maintainable. The
rule I have found is that it takes 1 X of time to make it work, 2 X to make
 it work and be maintainable, and 3x of time to make it work, be maintainab
le and be pretty. Or maybe you can get your spouse (with hopefully small ha
nds) or a small child to do that part of the maintenance.

Gary Leinberger
A237
Real near flying (except for just a few "little" things)