Europa-List: Bottom cut-outs

Subject: Europa-List: Bottom cut-outs
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:39:06
When I installed the fuel hoses in the then not yet installed cockpit
module(supply line, return, drains, sight tube), I did not think about
renewing the hoses.  Now, I realize that access to some of this is
difficult, at best.

I built my plane with a cut-out in the bottom where the monowheel would have
been (mine is a tri-gear), with a hinged hatch door for easy access to
gascolator, fuel pump, drains, Andair fuel selector valve, etc.  It is,
alas, too tight to reach further back and do much there.

I know that some have cut out the bottom between the two round tank outlet
inspection hatches - see the green area A on the attached sketch.   I cannot
see that this weakens the construction, but on the other hand it may not
give me the access I would like.

Has anyone cut out the red area, marked B?  If so, how has it been
covered/the area reinforced?  Although the very strong cockpit module
probably carry the loads on its own, this part does give some contribution
to strength.  I can see ways to maintain the strength when a cover plate is
bolted in place, but if anyone has already tread this path, I would
appreciate to know the details.

Regards,

Svein

LN-SKJ