Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 22:12:57

Tony, One benefit of a VP prop that I don't believe has been mentioned but
which reference to ground looping brings to mind is that in fine pitch the
slowing down effect of the idling prop is very noticeably greater than in
coarse pitch. If you are trying to glide somewhere and the prop pitch change
system still works, fine pitch is a great asset whereas to stop in a short
distance you definitely want it in fine. On T/Off  fine pitch also takes you
very quickl;y through the dodgy steering phase if you have a mono. Clearly a
fixed pitch prop is going to miss out somewhat on both counts.  So I guess
you are less likely to lose control on the ground and end up ground looping
if you have a VP/CS prop.
             Incidentally have you looked at the list of flying planes on
the Europa Club website where engines & props are listed for pretty much
every flying Europa?
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ