Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Prop Question
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 20:08:35

Tony,
I am not an expert. However, I  believe, if you opt for the 914 Rotax then a
constant
speed propeller would be appropriate. Simply to utilize the extra power
in the most efficient way allows you to get out of difficult situations.
Airmaster propeller system is just a delight to use and such a reassurance in
the
countryside we fly over here.
I know it comes from this side of the Tasman however you will be very pleased
with
the ingenuity and simplicity of the Airmaster.
.

Hope all is well with you. Now flying the big one from the left seat I hear. I
spent 14 years from the right seat and enjoyed it very much.

Good luck on the industrial side, don't get locked out!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 27/08/2011, at 7:34 PM, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its been a long while since I've had to think much about props. In truth I
> still
have a lot of building to go before I have to worry again. I'm nevertheless
wondering if more learned people would care to comment on whether a fixed pitch
prop, maybe a Catto prop, could work on a 914. I know the pitch of the prop
would need to be determined to suit the style of flying I prefer, and lets say
that is to go as fast as my engine/airframe combination will allow, at 75%
power. To that end I reckon my takeoff performance will be compromised, but
recent
video of Bob Catto speaking makes me believe it might only be in the order
of a couple of hundred feet. If I can deal with that, well what other
limitations
are there that haven't come to mind yet? Does anyone know of a builder of
anything that has strapped a fixed pitch prop to a 914? I don't and thats why
I'm asking. There might be a bunch, I just don't know them. Also, there might
be some issues at altitude, although simplistically !
> I believe the prop works in an IAS environment so maybe it doesn't matter. I
think there is probably even issues of aerodynamics that might be wrong with
that
last statement, so I'm happy to read whatever someone can contribute.