Europa-List: Re: tp9/tp10 retention

Subject: Europa-List: Re: tp9/tp10 retention
From: flyingphil2 <ptiller@lolacars.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 08:56:00

Hi Rowland,

With regards to the new re-designed torque tube then I have one of these.  As
Roger
put it to me, the new torque tube no longer has any torque.

Basically the whole design has been beefed up and there are now only 2 pins
involved,
not 4, see attached photo.

My main concern when I received this was the weight increase.  My numbers are
below:

Old Tube:

TP4  -  1350g
2 x TP5 & TP6  -  270g
TP9  -  200g
2 x TP12  -  800g
Total  =  2.620kg or 5.776lb

New Tube:

TP4  -  1330g
2 x TP5 & TP6  -  330g
TP9  -  1250g
2 x TP12  -  1060g
Total  =  3.970kg or 8.752lb  -  52% above original.

NB.  (Pat Tunney's clamps would add 0.4kg bringing an original assembly to
3.0kg).

My mind was originally put at rest when I was told that monos (or conventional
taildraggers as my aircraft is likely to be) like having an aft c of g and so
this additional weight at the back would be ok.  I tried not to think about it
too much and decided it would be ok ......

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Phil

Read this topic online here: