Re: Europa-List: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions
From: Steven Pitt <steven.pitt2@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:51:24
I have been watching these discussions with interest and you may wish to
consider an alternative approach to winching and safe towing of your
trigear.
I have had my trailer for 6 years or so and been towing the aircraft
over some fairly long distances (including 'rescuing' a trigear from
Shoreham to Nottingham).
I have a winch in the nose of the trailer and use a modified nosewheel
through bolt/axle which is threaded both ends (the modification was
carried out by Bud in Florida) - I can then attach the winch to the axle
on both sides using ring nuts purchased from any Yachting Chandler.
These then serve two purposes - first to winch the aircraft into the
closed trailer and secondly using bottle bolts to tie the nose wheel to
the trailer floor for towing (ensuring no significant movement in the
nosewheel on the move).
For the main wheels, I considered using a dummy spar tied at each end to
the trailer floor but in the end decided against that as the weight of
the aircraft jumping whilst towing could rip the floor out. Accordingly
I have a tie down bolt in the tail to which I attach two bungy cords to
the floor at the rear of the trailer. Whilst this allows some flexing
the movement of the tail is damped.
As far as chocking the main wheels I have a wooden chock front of the
tyres (bolted to the floor) and a chock that drops behind the main
wheels to lock them in place.
Realising that a picture tells a thousand words I will take some photos
later today to try to explain in more detail.
I hope this helps and if anyone wants further info please contact me. I
know that there are variations on this theme - Ian Rickard (G-IANI) has
a really nice trailer and whilst his mainwheels have a similar chocking
arrangement he has a bar under his tail to prevent the tail moving in
transit.
Regards
Steve Pitt
G-SMDH