RE: Europa-List: Re: Main wing bushings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Main wing bushings
From: Duncan & Ami <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:22:30

Phil,
Those with early ("proper"!!) taildraggers were required by LAA to check
that the forward lift pins had not bent, because of suspicion (paranoia?) of
overload in bending. None were found bent. I checked mine again at 300 hours
(still die-straight, but probably hadn't seen more than 2g in flight (and up
to -4g of the wing weight only in landing!).

Also at an earlier time, I measured directly the relative bending stiffness
of the forward lift pin socket/fuselage combination on a number of Europas,
both taildragger, monowheel and one that had not yet had the standard inner
fuselage side stiffener built in. There was a lot of variation in this
stiffness, with the taildragger sockets being stiffer than the standard
build configuration.
However, none were as stiff as the rear (non articulated) sockets of the
original 1300lb MTWA Classic, albeit the rear lift pin only takes about half
of the load of the forward lift pin.

Duncan McF.