Re: Europa-List: Squat switch - what?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Squat switch - what?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:14:29
Ferg,

Normally, the "squat" switch is located on one of the main landing gear
oleo strut such that the switch is either operated when the weight is on
the gear and the oleo strut compressed.  It's primary use is to
disengage the gear retract mechanism when the aircraft is on the ground.
 It may have other uses, enabling/disabling things and systems which
should/shouldn't operate on the ground or in flight.  It may also
operate a hobbs meter to record flight time for maintenance purposes.

Not having an oleo strut on the Europa Monowheel makes a true "squat"
switch more difficult configure.  Perhaps you could do something with
the shock absorber package if you can still get to it.  Other
alternatives are a switch operated by the gear retract lever or some
other piece of the gear retract hardware.  Or, perhaps, a speed sensing
switch set to around 45 mph.

I had a microswitch located adjacent to the landing gear down-lock notch
so that when the gear lever was in the down-lock notch it opened the NC
contact removing power from a Hobbs meter.   Move the gear lever out of
the down-lock notch and the NC elements of the switch closed applying
power to the Hobbs to record actual flight time.  Now that I'm a
tri-gear, I no longer have the system operable and will be removing it.
Would you like the Hobbs and switch?

Check six,
Bob Borger
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Europa XS, Short Wing, Intercooled Rotax 914
rlborger@mac.com
Cel: 817-992-1117

On Nov 3, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Fergus Kyle wrote:

>         Being new to construction (in the spiritual sense) I have come
across the above title, alternately known as an =91airborne acquisition
sensor=92 and other epithets.

>         I get the idea ' when she squats on the ground, she=92s not
flying ' when she rises above ground she is un-squated.  We come to
the nub ' where does one put the microswitch which tells a number of
devices she=92s flying? This in my case is a Classic 914 yet to fly. We
need to know the gear is locked down I presume, and the main purpose is
to record the time in the air, presuming it is terminated by a
landing......

>         If you have a similar machine I would be delighted to hear
where you set the switch and whether you are content with it    I know,
I know, like the parental words during a long trip, =93You should have
thought of that earlier....=94