Re: Europa-List: Stall spin characteristics

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stall spin characteristics
From: ROBERT LINDSAY <rlindsa2@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:50:58

Bill--On first flights I have done stalls on thirteen different Europas from
classics, XS, tri & mono gear, plus motor glider.  Most first flight stalls
were done at idle power at medium weight and CG.  All stalled benignly in a
clean config, but some had a wing drop after first indication of imminent
stall in the flaps down config--which was corrected easily with neutralizing
controls.  Of course, there is some altitude loss.  These wing droppers were
candidates for stall strips.
In regard to short field landings--know what the stall speed is for your
config, weight & CG.  (That is part of what you check in your phase 1 test
period)  Then fly your stabilized approach at 1.2 Vso (assuming no gusting
wind).  Slips are marginally effective in the XS mono giving you about 1500
fpm down vice 1200 no slip at 80 KIAS gear down, idle pwr.  Slips in a turn
are OK with top rudder but of course skidding turns are a no-no.
Bob Lindsay
San Diego CA