Europa-List: Rotax 914 mechanic urgently needed!!!

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 914 mechanic urgently needed!!!
From: Garry Stout <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 19:43:50
Today I sold my Europa/914 and the new owner headed back from Florida to
California.  He got to his first fuel stop in Crestview (Florida panhandle),
filled the tank with 100LL and departed.  A few minutes out the engine began
to surge badly so he returned to the airport to check things out.  He says
the engine runs fine up to about 28 inches of manifold pressure, then begins
to surge.  The EGT's also are running up to 1600 degrees (F).  This leads me
to think he's running lean somewhere in the system.

He has checked the spark plugs (fine), dropped the carb float bowls (fine),
checked the fuel filters (fine), checked the operation of the turbo
wastegate (fine), checked the rubber hoses between the carbs and the
manifold log (fine).  So what next?  The poor guy is sitting up there on the
ramp, 2,000 miles from home with no Rotax mechanics to be found.

I know it's a long shot, but if there are any folks who can help him who are
located near Crestview airport, it would be a lifesaver!

Garry Stout

Tampa, FL