Re: Europa-List: Wheel Pant Recommendations

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wheel Pant Recommendations
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:22:28

G'day Tony,

I'm building a Little Toot Sport Biplane and I'm using some custom Grove landing
gear with all grove brakes, axles, etc.  It will have wheel pants.  You can
see some pics in my "Taz" build gallery in the second URL in the signature
block.
I don't know of any wheel pant mount that will go behind the landing gear.
I can understand wanting to do that.  Cleaner, neater and probably less drag,
but it's tough to engineer.  One benefit of the normal way is building jacking
pads which go on the inside of the axle.  I'll have to add some pics of the
jack pads we use on the Toot later today.  If you should like the wheel pants
we use on the Toot I'll put you in touch with Tommy Meyer (Tommy's dad,George
Meyer, built the first Meyer Special, Little Toot in 1954) If you should want
a set of those pants.

Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=60232
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/index.php?cat=10046
Europa Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117

On Mar 28, 2010, at 0:03, Tony Renshaw wrote:

> Gidday,
> I'm getting closer to being able to put my a/c on its Grove gear leg, with the
500 series wheels and brakes. Does anyone have any advice as to the better types
of wheel pants that look best for our beasts?? It is not a bad time to find
out before you bolt all the bits together, as there is a mounting bracket that
sits in behind the axle when bolted onto the leg.