Europa-List: Monowheel Flap Operation

Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel Flap Operation
From: flyingphil2 <ptiller@lolacars.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 05:34:01

Hi,

I'm just following up on something I read on a recent thread and had thought of
before.

The thread mentioned that "a few of the mono builders are opting for the trike
flap drive".  I'm not flying a mono yet but have flown in them and had noticed
that they take off with full flap.  It had occurred to me that the flap drive
motor may be a better idea.

I'm not sure how you would deal with the outriggers but what do mono pilots
think
about this?  There is the drag of full flap on take off and the pitch change
when you put it away.  Having said that, the person I flew with partially raised
the gear and allowed it to float at half flap for a short while whilst climbing
out to reduce the pitch change.  Is that the best technique to use or is
fitting a motor and making the flaps independent of undercarriage better or
is there in fact no problem at all?

Regards,

Phil

Read this topic online here: