Europa-List: Alcoholic Mogas

Subject: Europa-List: Alcoholic Mogas
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:42:36
Hi all,

During the last few days, I tested several samples of Mogas (all
purchased in the Paris area) to determine if they were containing
alcohol. The results are as follows:
95 Unleaded from a supermarket: about 2,5 % alcool
95 Unleaded from a well known brand: about 2,5 % alcool
98 Unleaded from a well known brand: no alcool

For those not familiar with french designation of Mogas, 95 Unleaded is
our basic mogas while 98 is Super.

Rotax says alcool in the fuel should be avoided but tolerates up to 5%
(SI 912-016 R1) so we can assume there is probably no risk with the
engine up to that ratio. I do not think there is a risk either with our
fuel lines as most of us are using automotive hoses designed for mogas.
Same for fuel pumps. But what about the fuel tank which is already
subject to bulging and cracking even without alcool? What about fuel
pressure sensors? Fuel flow sensors?

As more and more alcohol will be introduced in mogas in the near future,
it would be beneficial to all of us to know better about its side effect
on our fuel system.
Looking fwd receiving documented answers from experienced people.

Regards

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL