RE: Europa-List: tank support layups

Subject: RE: Europa-List: tank support layups
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:14:05

Rowland,

>Greg - I thought the gassing process was supposed to prevent this.
>Certainly the new tank I have has been subject to that process.

My tank only swelled a few millimeters (on the back face of the tank).
If the swelling is constant over the entire surface of the tank, then the
long straight faces would give the worst-case example of tank expansion.
Hence the back face of the tank is the extreme example. I wish I knew how
much the old tanks expanded, then it would be easier to know for sure.
(If anyone has measured their tank expansion who had the old tank, feel free
to contribute).

I can only assume that I have the new tank, since a few millimeters is not
much. Some might consider it negligible. Still (if I DO in fact have the new
tank) a few extra millimeters of clearance to the controls will be
necessary, if you don't soak the tank, initially. Actually (based on my
experience), if allowances are given, and the tank is not bonded directly,
you would probably be fine without pre-soaking the tank. I will try to
measure it today, to see if I can get a better idea on the amount of
shrinkage.

>Thanks for your kind words. It's a big change being without someone
>who's shared your life for 40 years, and even worse (for the
>survivor) when it comes rather suddenly. The period of adjustment
>appears open-ended at present.

My thoughts are with you. I don't have much experience in this area. My
'separation' experience has to do with that ugly divorce word, and that was
very tough on me too, but no passing away was involved.
The memories stay, and the acute emotional pain does diminish, and the
sunlight shining through the clouds can be seen again, eventually.

Greg