Re: Europa-List: Anyone have info how they mounted wing tip strobe

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Anyone have info how they mounted wing tip strobe
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:20:22

Hi group

Thx. for the replies about strobe power supply positioning.

Jim:
"> Mine is on the bottom of the port access panel in
the baggage bay. I ran
> irrigation tubing through the wings
containing #18 wire for both the
> strobes and position lights.
A I did not want to mount something that
> weighed as much
as the strobe controller in the wing."

That's exactly what
I did, beautiful installation of my Kuntzleman power supply on the
starboard baggage bay rib. When I tested, if there is an antenna
cable (RG-400 or RG-142), radio or antenna within 8 feet of power supply,
tick, tick, tick. Nothing I tried helps. Power supply is grounded. Supply
lines are shielded, I tried no ground, ground on supply side and ground on
power supply side. I tried wrapping power supply in 2 layers of aluminium
foil figuring RFI leaking out of connectors, no joy grounded or un
grounded. I tried wrapping antenna cable with aluminium foil, grounded and
un grounded. i tried grounding antenna cable. Nothing works, have to turn
squelch up where don't get what it is I want.

The only
thing that helps is moving power supply at least 8 feet away. I hear from
a local IA that Whelen is the only powers supply he uses because he had
noise issues with others.

Kunzleman power supply is pretty
small, 10 oz and each one uses ~ 1.5 amps. I have their combo LED/strobe
heads already mounted.

When you test yours, let us know if you
have good results.

My experience is pretty much identical to
this builder:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/antennas.html

Ron Parigoris