Re: Europa-List: Garmin GTX 328 Mode S Transponder Fitting.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Garmin GTX 328 Mode S Transponder Fitting.
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:55:57

>I am fitting a GTX 328 Transponder as part of my Instrument panel refit.
>I noted earlier reports that the 328 was too deep for the Europa
>Instrument panel

Mike - I have a note in my transponder file of the GTX328 depth as
286mm, but I'm not sure if that includes an allowance for connectors.
If it does, the depth should be OK for a Europa panel. The real issue
for most boxes, however, is not overall depth, but depth behind the
mounting surface. For some of the boxes that go in a 2.25" round hole
the 2 numbers may be almost the same, but most tray-mounted stuff can
protrude a bit from the panel.

I am fitting a SL40 comm radio and the clearance required for that
---From the rear surface of the mounting panel, including connectors,
with my mounting rails is 288.1mm. There is 19.2mm of the front of
the radio box protruding beyond that mounting surface. To give a
little extra clearance, I'm fitting an aluminium front panel on the
radio secion, and that will move everything away from the firewall by
the thickness of the wood/glassfibre panel.

If you're prepared to make extra holes in the tray, you can (with
some loss of aesthetic qualities) arrange for the unit to protrude
more out of the panel and thus take up less space behind it, but I
think that should only be if all else fails. I have seen the
occasional certificated aircraft with retrofit radios sticking out in
a very ugly fashion - not sure how they sorted the paperwork for that!

If I understand this thread correctly you're already satisifed that
it'll fit for you - you were just trying to dispel some earlier
misinformation.

My instrument module is not bonded in so I can make measurements if
anyone else wishes (be specific).

regards

Rowland