RE: Europa-List: New tandem wheel flying wing biplane - this one's diffe

Subject: RE: Europa-List: New tandem wheel flying wing biplane - this one's different!
From: glenn crowder <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:42:50

Don't know the exact answer but the designer was not killed while flying th
e original prototype.  The original proto is still flying and is flown by C
harles son=2C
Ron Ligeti=2C an aeronautical engineer=2C who is reverse engineering the pr
ototype to create new open source plans that will be available on the websi
te.

According to the site=2C Charles was test flying a new larger version to be
come a kit version of the a/c.
"A channel or third wing was added to the fuselage. The bottom of the chann
el blended into the duct. Two different accounts of the purpose of the duct
 have been advanced: Ron Ligeti=92s interpretation is that the ducted fan d
rew air over the channel to create a low pressure area and increase lift. R
omeo Garcia=2C a member of the original construction team=2C reports that t
he purpose was to channel more air into the duct for improved propulsion. I
t is believed that one or more of these modifications changed the stall cha
racteristics significantly=2C possibly by occluding or creating turbulence
ahead of the duct at a high angle of attack."

I have a theory that the rhino rudder as installed on the proto to yaw the
plane for landing without banking might behave unpredictably in a high angl
e stall scenario but
thats just my speculation.  On the sim I have eliminated the rhino rudder a
nd gone to a retractable tri gear setup to allow more ground clearance for
a larger prop.
I can attach the sim for X-plane V7 if anyone is interested but it will hav
e to wait until I get a new hard disk for my desktop as it got hammered yes
terday!

Date: Sat=2C 27 Sep 2008 12:22:39 -0400From: peterz@zutrasoft.comTo: europa
-list@matronics.comSubject: Re: Europa-List: New tandem wheel flying wing b
iplane - this one's different!
Very slick design - but one question: As the original designer died in it i
n a "stall accident" what are the changes that you have made in the x-plane
 version from his original which has made it stall-proof (ala canard)=2C wh
ile his obviously was not?

Cheers=2C
Pete
A239