RE: Europa-List: New tandem wheel flying wing biplane - this one's diffe

Subject: RE: Europa-List: New tandem wheel flying wing biplane - this one's different!
From: glenn crowder <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:06:22

  This is an incredible concept that has not been utilized IMO.  The joined
 wing concept is the most efficient per NASA studies
http://www.aoe.vt.edu/design/ikelos/ as it eliminates the draggy tip vortic
es that plague all other designs.  The Stratos has
an L/D of 19/1 and the original needed flaps to degrade the glide enough to
 allow a steeper landing approach.  You have
effective sailplane efficiency in a very compact planform.  In addition the
 wings can be made much lighter as the joined wing
at the tips adds great strength.  The lower wing is totally flat with no di
hedral making it easy to build.  The upper wing needs
no twist and uses 2 deg dihedral.  Other advantages are much stronger pilot
/passengers protection due to the cage type construction=2C
wide tolerance of CG changes and greater tolerance for gusty conditions due
 to the short wings.

On the sim it is possible to take off with the stick full back=2C just wait
 for rotation and the a/c will just climb away bobbing its
nose with full roll and yaw control.  Fully aerobatic too but pitch sensiti
vity is a little much for landing in this mode=2C easily
corrected with a pitch limiter for landing.  Don't see why the concept coul
dn't work for crowd killers as well as the short wings
should allow twice as many gates at the terminal.

Very cool pic: http://www.ligeti-stratos.com/assets/images/hg_3_big.jpg

From: craigb@onthenet.com.auTo: europa-list@matronics.comSubject: RE: Europ
a-List: New tandem wheel flying wing biplane - this one's different!Date: S

How weird is that=2C the design is very close to one I was considering to s
cratch build before i started on my XS=2C glad to know it will
fly ok=2C I didnt think anyone else would like such a departure from the "n
orm"=2C my only concern was where to put the prop=2C I was thinking
about belt drive ducted fans between the two wings

-----Original Message-----From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com [mai
lto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com]On Behalf Of glenn crowderSent:
Friday=2C 26 September 2008 4:38 AMTo: europa-list@matronics.comSubject: Eu
ropa-List: New tandem wheel flying wing biplane - this one's different!  Wo
uld love to build this one in my spare time.  Original was 78 sq ft and 172
 lbs with engine.  I have scaled it up to 110 sq ft=2C built it in X-plane
with 50 hp=2C goes 160 mph=2C flies wonderful using NACA 23012 airfoil=2C s
talls at 35=2C although it just does the canard stall=2C bobbing it's nose
gently in the breeze. http://www.ligeti-stratos.com/
                               Glenn

Date: Thu=2C 25 Sep 2008 10:26:09 -0700Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel
designs... any others out there?From: fklein@orcasonline.comTo: europa-list