Re: Europa-List: Monowheel designs... any others out there?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel designs... any others out there?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:54:19

Garry

The Monowheel is an Europa term for the bicycle landing gear, also known as
centerline
landing gear.  The main gear are fore/aft and centered on the fuselage.
Most require some sort of outrigger to maintain balance.

The Lockheed U-2/TR-1, McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II and Hawker Harrier are
current "real" airplanes with centerline landing gear and are not motor gliders.

Older designs are the B-47 & XB-48.  The B-52 is an extreme example with its
quadracycle
landing gear and outriggers.

Check six,
Bob Borger

On Wednesday, September 24, 2008, at 12:26PM, "Garry" <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:
>Examples of monowheel designs have been proposed as follows:
>
>Schleiker K14............is a motor glider
>Glassflugel...............is a glider
>Schempp Hirth............is a glider
>DG Flugzeughbau...........is a glider
>SZD...........is a glider
>U2..........I was unable to determine if it was a monowheel or not
>ASW.........I was unable to determine what it was
>
>The only real airplane I've found is the Fournier RF 3,4,5, etc.
>
>Garry

4, and 5...  the Schleiker K14 motorglider

>    Happy flying to all
>
>    Richard, in Kenya
>    Monowheel , no 168, 912UL, warpdrive at 17 degrees, operating from hot and
high 6000', 27 C, and it does need rather a long take off roll.