RE: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment

Subject: RE: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:59:57

>Rowland, I don't think that you have a problem. There is a lot of
>flexibility in the bottom molding until the cockpit module is bonded in.
>I did a similar "pre flight" test sitting in the cockpit module before
>it had been bonded in and had exactly the same result. Once the module
>is bonded everything stiffens up quite considerably and you'll find that
>the clearance that you currently have without the weight of your body on
>it will be maintained.

Tony - that sounds good theory, but how in practice do I ensure that
everything stays where it ought to while doing the cockpit module
bonding?

I haven't yet done all the drilling and cleco-ing that is called out
in the manual page 11-6 (trial fit of CM) to fit the CM as closely to
the lower fuselage moulding as possible, and fear that I could easily
make things worse instead of better during that process. It says
"drill and cleco other areas until your cockpit module is a snug fit"
but I can't see how you get a snug fit of the relatively flat CM
surfaces against the fuselage moulding which goes up and down at
every edge of the brown foam inserts.

The manual also says "Use as few clecos as is necessary to fit the
module to the bottom moulding. Remember that when you come to bond
the module into the fuselage bottom moulding you will be able to
locally weight down any small areas that need it". If I were to weigh
down the aft end of either seat-centre tunnel, that would ruin the
CS07/08 clearance.

Why doesn't the area of the CM around the CS06 rear bearing actually
rest on the fuselage floor? It seems crazy to take care setting up
the clearance for parts at the aft end of the torque tube, and then
leave it dangling in fresh air.

regards

Rowland