RE: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment

Subject: RE: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:27:09

Hi! Rowland.
No pictures received, however seems to me that you are expecting the
structure to take your weight before bonding without the stiffening
provided by the bonding. This is not how it all works !
Assuming the control stick movements are not stiff prior to bonding the
CM in place (perhaps you can recall my oscillating with brasso etc.
items to free off? Also check you have the assembly rivets correctly
oriented in the control tubes (if the push rods have rivets at the top
and bottom they can rub against the larger torque tubes internally, they
need to be off the vertical centre line)
Firstly put a nice (considerable radius) on the corners of the CS07/08
items. With a dummy run of module inserted and fuselage very adquately
supported so that the sides are the correct width (without stress).Then
mark out all the places that the CM abuts or is supposed to abut the
fuselage. Remove the CM and apply thick layers of stiff Redux to the
previously marked areas. Then apply similar redux to the mating areas of
the CM. Then carefully lift the CM into place allowing it to settle down
without undue bending pressure likley to deform it from it's natural
shape.
The redux where too thick will squelch out from the bond areas but stay
in place in the clear gap areas. If you shine a strong light behind all
the join areas you will highlight all places needing attention. Scrape
off all surplus Redux which has squelched out and trowel this spare
redux into area's where there's gaps or shortage ensuring the width
areas are suitably abutted with one or two LOOSELY applied pop
rivets.(Rivets only partly extended)Wipe out areas of remaining surplus
and leave to cure. Bingo!
IMHO do not pull the flanges of the CM down where they are gapped
because:-
 a) you stress everthing up
 b) you make indentations on the outer fuselage surface needing filler
to fill them.
You will ultimately use less weight of Redux than the larger areas of
filler needed and for my money I'd rather ride on Redux than filler as a
structure !
Further don't mess with release agent or cling film you will not get a
good bond, I say again just fill all the gaps with trowelled Redux.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG