Europa-List: Rotax 914

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 914
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:59:05
Cheers,
        I'm sending this as a backup to a message in the Rotax list. I have
wired the ignition wires, grounded the coaxial braid right at the engine
block
adjacent to the modules, through BNC coax connectors at the firewall and
to BNCs at the alum boxes which house the switches. All this, as a result
of having chased breakthrough from ignition noise for the last thirty years.
Neither my switches or their boxes are grounded anywhere but at the one
site above , i.e: they are 'floating', as is the panel they're on.
        HOWEVER, if one examines the electrical diagram, page 75 in the
Installation manual, the coax is shown grounded near the switches, rather
than down near the modules, the boxes are grounded elsewhere (wrong)
as are the switches.
        I write this to affirm in my own mind that the coax around the
ignition
lines are grounded ONLY at the engine block nearby, if noise is to be
reduced. This comes from chasing ignition noise since 1963.
Happy Landings
Ferg