Europa-List: emergency exits [was: Re: Jos Okhuisen]

Subject: Europa-List: emergency exits [was: Re: Jos Okhuisen]
From: josok <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:11:39

Hi All,

Back home again. Feels good, although no house is build to move around in a
wheelchair.
It will take a few more weeks before i am allowed to use my legs again.
Anyhow, i thought i would like to share some more thoughts about the incident.
---From a good source i learned that mogas or avgas, spayed, sprikled or throw
at/on hot surfaces will not ignite. It takes a good spark to start a fire.
But a drop of oil on an exhaust pipe will burn immediatly. In this particular
case the turbo oil lines or pump were most probably smashed, and the oil started
the fire, later fed by fuel.

The much feared long range tank, also full of fuel, survived the ordeal intact.
Only the top caved in a bit because of the heat.

The reverse prop is a red herring. I am pretty sure that the reverse function
has
nothing to do with the accident. So please folks, be cautious, also if your
installation does not have reverse or vane.

It would be a very good idea to have a very critical look at your installation,
because it is your life. Maybe an open minded discussion about possible fault
scenarios would be a good idea. For obvious reasons i can not point my finger,
or take part in such a discussion. But i am sure others will :-)

Did i miss something or has the Rotax tactory and it's news been forgotten?

Hmm, that's about 4 subjects in one message. Would it have been better to write
4 messages? W'll see.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org