Re: Europa-List: Classic stall characteristics (High Top Mod)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Classic stall characteristics (High Top Mod)
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:36:57

Hi Ian,

> The only thing I have noticed since we completed testing is that the new
> (64b) setup seems to be very slightly less stable in pitch.  Having modified
> the aircraft we cannot go back to the original to get a real comparison.

You might be interested to know that we have incorporated a modified
mod64b, that is, we have lowered the forward section only by 3,5 cm
(about halfway), and made it parallel with the lower fuselage. With some
juggling we were able to use the original windscreen for this. (Actually
we bought the deeper windscreen as well, but this one was not going to
fit with our modified mod, so we extended the rear window flange
slightly so we could use the original windscreen, which was a bit
oversized anyway). We thought this to be a good alternative because:
1) We didn't like the look of mod 64b too much (don't feel offended,
this is just a matter of personal taste), and now it looks much more
like a regular Europa XS. The windscreen remains flatter, and does not
extend below the side windows.
2) We already built a customised instrument panel, which partly utilized
the taller panel space available.
3) We wanted to have a better view outside, but we didn't desire to see
the entire cowling. ;-)

We are not flying yet, but you may be sure we will give a detailed
report. Not that this will say anything, as we have incorporated a few
more mods.

If we find some time we will post a few pictures. Too busy building
until now to worry about pictures. ;-)

--
Frans