Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Fw: Fire extinguishers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Fw: Fire extinguishers
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:15:00
Find A Sport Aviation February 2008 and look pages 98-99.

Dana Heimos EAAA 834980 writes as follows:

- The FAA and NFPA strongly recommend the use of portable Halon fire
extinguishers in all aircraft

- dry chemical no no because IMC occurs and it is higly corrosive and
detrimental to electronics

- CO2 no no because cold-shock and restrict oxygen levels

- water no no because there is a risk of being electrocuted if used on
el. equipment

- Halon

1) does not restrict visibility
2) won=B4t damage electrics
3) is low toxicity (!!!)
4) is chemically stable and totally safe for human
5) does not displace oxygen from the air
6) is perfectly legal for aviation use

There are two types: 1211-1301 blend and pure 1211,
an alternative is Halotron 1. Halotron is ozone friendly but
unfortunately twice as large and heavy as liked-rated Halon.

For me personally I have fire extinguisher onboard mainly
if something happen on the ground for my plane or neigbour=B4s one.
Probably during refueling.

It is not easy to imagine cocpit fire situation airborne but if that
occurs,
pilot would be happy if he has Halon. About 20 years ago one
2-engine Piper=B4s cocpit flamed because choke (uncorrect word) fuel
line
got broken and pilot caught fire. He has not (Halon) extinguisher
and elected to jump out as a living torch.  Same could happen to
Europa=B4s tube type fuel gauge. It is in the cockpit like are those
fuel
breathing lines also. I would be happy if they all were outside.

Let=B4s imagine you find some fresh fuel smell during flight.
Maybe your right leg or right hand also get wet about fuel.

***What we should do in this situation? ***

Immediately landing of course.
With electrics of or not? If you elect to switch off, there can be
in that moment a fateful spark during switching off.

Raimo from Finland
OH-XRT