Europa-List: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_Europa-List=3A_Fw=3A_Fire_extinguisher

Subject: Europa-List: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_Europa-List=3A_Fw=3A_Fire_extinguishers?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 08:29:51

Just a personal opinion but I would have thought that a CO2 extinguisher
 would be an acceptable substitute. You can pick up a new 2kg model for about
 =A330 on ebay. Weight not ideal but better than nothing I would have
 thought.

The problem with all extinguishers is that they are designed to cut off the
 oxygen supply to the fire but would also cut off the occupants oxygen
 supply. Fact is any extinguisher in the air is going to cause problems.

If there was an engine fire a CO2 extinguisher could be discharged in the
 engine bay and would be very effective. In the cockpit is another matter.