RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?Mono or Tri-Gear, what

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?Mono or Tri-Gear, what
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 02:06:26
I'll run this thread a bit longer by adding that I have a mono at 490 hours.  I
originally learned to fly in a J 3 cub and Champ...had about 600 hours in tail

draggers when flew the Europa.  It was no problem on grass from the first
flight.
early landings on hard surface had a few minor swerves, nothing exciting.
I have a glider rating and that helps you focus on keeping it straight as the
wing tips side to side. The mono is what makes the europa unique with a sassy
look that appeals to me.  I think the average pilot could handle it with
checkout,
especially if having previous taildragger time.  The mono is a pain when
you need to pull the wings out for inspection or do retract tests at annual.
I need to tighten the bungee and it is the dickens to get to.  If I had it all
to do over, I would opt for the wider body and high top and Bob Berbees'
conventional
gear.  Been flying a Tiger Moth lately and it is also a real challange
to land, especially in a crosswind.  The Europa has given me some good
experience.
Ken carpenter  N9XS   Mono 914
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Dave,

I know, that a given Europa will weigh more with the trigear, but all Europas
differ
greatly in overall weight, depending on equipment and options, the original
Classics being the lightest.

Karl