Re: Europa-List: Rotax carb heaters

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax carb heaters
From: A B Milne <milneab@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 08:08:16

Willie,

In my XS Trigear G-CBYN I have 450 hours behind a non induction heated 912S
and 100 hours on one with a coolant heated connector on the manifold side of
the carb as supplied by Skydrive.

The former has regularily given a burble as ice is swallowed from each carb.
Before the burble the effect of the ice on performance is unnoticeable.
The twitches generated on me are not.

With the heater I have never had a suggestion of the burble.

The heating is effective and I am sticking with it on the new aircraft.
Installation is simple but moves the intake plenum chamber rearwards about
15mm.

The inspector did not consider it as a mod and just signed up the logbook.

Alasdair Milne