Europa-List: Europa safety and the LAA

Subject: Europa-List: Europa safety and the LAA
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 11:49:37

I have changed the title of this thread for obvious reasons but also because
the argument seems to be about how safe our Europas are and how dilligent
and thorough the PFA and their inspectors are. The AAIB report merely
highlights the issue which I for one believe dosent exist.

> With all respect to the AAIB and all others involved, i have difficulties
> understanding the bearing of the report. Since there are a lot of flying
> Europa's, mine being one of them, i would prefer to ask explanation and
> remaining questions to be answered, even if this keeps wounds open.

The AIIB have made it very clear that whilst their remit is not to apportion
blame, that there was no fault either on the owners, the inspector or the
PFA' part and that the cause of the failure (ie: poor build quality) could
not have been identified after the build by the inspectors concerned or on
subsequent inspections. It is even possible that the original builder was
unaware of the error he had made.

I have read the report several times and it would seem to me that they have
left no stone unturned and explored every possible reason for this
catastrophe.

> There is no validation in the report about the quality of the inspection,
> although the plane broke up shortly after.

This comment verges on slander - sorry but I cant put it any other way. I am
sure you didnt intend it but thats how it comes accross. My initial reaction
is where is your evidence of a culture of cover ups. Most PFA inspectors
take their roles very seriously and there is no reason whatsoever to suggest
that the annual inspection was in any way sub standard (this seems to be
what your comment implies).

My understanding is that no one knows whether the flight test took place. I
assumed at the time of the accident that the flight test could have been
conducted during the return flight home as this is the usual practice with
annual inspections (ie: the next flight after inspection). The report does
not say that the flight test was conducted at Bodmin (after the inspection)
but equally the AAIB have not said if notes/ documentation (ie: the flight
test schedule) were found in the wreckage. I think it is safe to assume that
if there were notes this would have been mentioned in the AAIB report.

>There is no recommendation for improvement of these inspections, other then
>a case triggered inspection on the points involved. I have seen only a few
> >PFA inspected builds and planes myself, and some of them had obvious build
>and or repair AND inspection failures. There seems to be a culture of
>trying >to keep problems under the table and out of sight. This all makes
>me wonder where the responsibilities are and should be.

I cannot believe you are unaware of Mods 73 and 74 (and the grounding/
restrictions imposed on the entire Europa fleet) . Hardly what I would
describe as keeping problems under the table. As regards the Europa fleet
the PFA has a list of potential problems/ issues which inspectors should pay
particular attention to whan carrying out inspections.

The follow up/ safety actions are described at the end of the AAIB report
and IMHO would appear to be entirely suitable.

> Others have landed with disengaged anti-trim-tab lift pins, although the
> forces were excessive. However, disengaged trim tabs are not taken in
> account as the failure triggering event. Did i miss the reasoning behind
> that?

It is interesting to note that you say LANDING with the tab disconnected.
This dosent usually occurr unless you TAKE OFF  with them disconnected
(which I have done !!!). There have been no reports I am aware of that have
ever described this happening in flight (ie: disconnection). As has been
stated in the report even if they had been disconnected this would not have
made the aircraft uncontrollable.

Perhaps you could rephrase your concerns/ issues without reference to the
accident/ report as in your own words this has no bearing on the subject.
(ie: What specifically are the "remaining unanswered questions")

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS