Europa-List: Petition to HMG

Subject: Europa-List: Petition to HMG
From: Mike Gamble <mp.gamble@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:35:22
I have just received the following from a colleague and I have added my
name to the petition.
I choose to ignore the denial on the Downing Street website.
As I suspect others will want to show support, I trust I will be
forgiven for listing this here.
Thanks
Mike Gamble

''The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the
2012
London Olympics because they are deemed 'too British'.

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be
'offensive' to other countries taking part in the Games. The display
team
have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the

Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team 'too
militaristically British'. Red Arrows pilots were said to be 'outraged',
as
they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games,
something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a
British-based
event for being 'too British' is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of
Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas
trade,
as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was
announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly
spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

Forward this on to everyone you can.''