Europa-List: UK PFA news - Europa safety mods

Subject: Europa-List: UK PFA news - Europa safety mods
From: David.Corbett <david.corbett5@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 22:18:38
Wearing my UK PFA Executive Committee and Europa Club committee hats, I
asked Francis Donaldson (PFA Chief Engineer, for those of you overseas who
do not know) earlier this week if he could release a progress report on the
proposed Europa factory/PFA modifications to be incorporated in UK Europae
following the tragic accident to G-HOFC. You will see Francis's reply below.

However, before you read it, I must ask you all to consider some other
factors which Francis passed to me in a second e-mail, and confirmed by
voicemail whilst I was at a funeral this afternoon.

1        We are all aware that UK AAIB are shortly to issue a Special
Bulletin about the G-HOFC accident. Francis tells me that this Bulletin is
not expected to give any firm conclusion about the accident - investigations
are still ongoing into the very complex factors involved - and the Bulletin
will basically only draw attention to the Flight Safety Bulletins issued by
the PFA (see next paragraph). If the AAIB Bulletin reports as normal
"Special's" do, I hope that we will at least be told publicly the scale of
the damage/destruction that occurred to G-HOFC, even if no conclusions can
yet be given.

2        Some Europae, like mine, have passed the inspections required by UK
Europa Flight Safety Bulletins 006 and 007, but are grounded because the
tailplane pip pin recesses have not been built to the dimensions in the
build manual - in many cases, the dimensions are smaller, especially around
the joint between the recess and the upper skin. Owners such as myself are
obviously frustrated that we cannot fly but, quite understandably, Francis
asks that those of us in a similar position to mine wait for the tailplane
pip pin mod to come out, and do not chase PFA Engineering for individual
special attention. As we can all appreciate, PFA Engineering have been
severely overloaded by the investigations, and the resulting mod design work
involved, that arises from this accident, and other PFA aircraft types are
suffering as a result of these pressures on PFA Engineering. This situation
has not been helped by the sad loss, to a job in Australia, of our recent
and excellent recruit to the engineering team, Kerry Ashcroft; so PFA are
short of an engineer again.

3        The proposed mods (outlined below) are currently with Europa (2004)
Ltd being formatted. There will, of course, be a lead time on the supply of
some mod kit parts - especially the longer wing rear pins required for
Classic aircraft. I will have a discussion with Roger or John early next
week to see whether they are yet prepared to go public as to the timescale
for issuing the mod kits.

4        The tailplane mod will only require normal composite materials -
BID and epoxy (the mod will specify readily available epoxies); Andy Draper
has done a trial tailplane mod - to "ready for cosmetic finish" - in one
working day.

5        For those in the UK West Midland/Wales area, Adrian Lloyd, my PFA
inspector, and I are proposing to run a joint operation here at Shobdon for
several local owners to get the tailplane pip pin access mods all done
together. If you are interested in joining this team effort, please contact
me off list.   david.corbett5@btinternet.com  (put "Europa mod" in subject
box, please)

Finally, I would like to express our Europa community's thank to Francis and
his team, and Roger and John at the factory, for the enormous amount of work
that they have had to put into our situation following the sad accident.

As one of our committee members has said to me this evening - "Fly safely" -
but of course I can't, at least in my Europa!

David

UK 265   G-BZAM

  _____